Women change their hair color or style for a number of reasons. At least 61% of women make a change in the look of their hair just to have a change in their lives. A full 44% of all women report that they will change the look of their hair because they are bored with it. At least one quarter of women change up the look of their hair as a way to reinvent themselves. Designer hair extensions provide women with a dramatic way to change how their hair looks. If you are thinking about looking into hair extension services, you have some questions and decision to make.
- Decide what material you want for your designer hair extensions. Hair salons have several options when it comes to hair extensions. They can be made from synthetic hair or natural hair. You can get your hair extensions in just about every color imaginable. They also come in a number of textures. If you want to reduce the time you spend styling them every day, you should think about going with some that have a texture that is similar to your own. For example, if you hair is straight, getting straight extensions will make it easier to get ready in the morning.
- Consider human hair. While it is more expensive, you will get a more natural look and feel with natural human hair for your designer hair extensions. You need to make sure you go to a reputable hair dresser to put them in. The person you pay to do this needs to be certified. If you are going to have hair extensions made from human hair, spend what you need to get hair that is a good quality. You can style your hair in ways that look more natural when the extensions are made from natural hair.
- Decide how you want them to be applied. Again, beauty salons have several options when it comes to the application of designer hair extensions. They can be bonded, taped in or clipped in. When you have the bonded hair extensions the hair dresser will used keratin based hair extensions. Clip in extensions use combs to attach the hair extensions to to the hair. Hair extensions that are taped in are fixed to the scalp with gel strips, these are more gentle on the natural hair. The clip in hair extensions are the easiest to maintain.
- Decide what you can spend. The price for different kinds of designer hair extensions varies a lot based on where in the country you have them done. If you want to add fullness, you can get a half a head of the the tape in hair extensions for about $800 (or more). These will last in your hair for between eight to ten weeks and you can expect to spend between one and three hours at the the hair salon having them done. If you are looking for length with this kind of hair extension, you will have to spend at least $1,500. If you go for bonded hair extensions, you will need to spent $1,250 for half of your head and $2,500 for the whole thing. Clip in designer hair extensions will set you back $800, the upside to these is that they can be reused and can be kept for years.
- Get your hair colored before you have your extensions put in. If you are someone who likes to color your hair, you should do this yourself or have it done before you go in for your designer hair extensions. This way, the certified hair dresser can match your hair extensions to the color of your hair.
- Look into how you need to care for your extensions. You will need to be more gentle with your hair extensions than you would be with your natural hair when you are brushing it. Some experts recommend brushing it in sections and taking care to not pull on it too much. You will also need to spend a little more time styling them with a curling iron or hair dryer.
The bottom line is that hair extensions can be a fun way to change up the look of your hair.